Wayne's Daily Diary Archive

20 June 2007

17 May 2017
Still not receiving emails!

If you’ve emailed me of late and haven’t received an answer it’s because I never received your email as I’m still having problems. Please use my wwatson1955@gmail.com address as I’m not receiving anything on my idms or Alpine Experience addresses.

Millie has finished her GCSE French exams so it’s nice to have that out of the way and we are now trying to convince Katie to do the same so that she can concentrate on Spanish.

Millie has had a few Surrey Girls Golf days and Katie is having a fantastic time at her Gym Club, although she seems to have lost interest in her riding.

Stay tuned for more news soon.

12 May 2017
The planning is up and running!

The ski school planning is up and running with James Hope and David Butchart already in the books. Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you know your dates but for the moment please use my gmail account wwatson1955@gmail.com as I’m still having problems with my regular idms address.

11 May 2017
E-mail problems!

Gill and I are still having email problems and are in the process of changing servers as we’ve had enough of BT. We should be up-and-running again in a couple of weeks so for the time being I’ve been using my g-mail address which is wwatson1955@gmail.com

Sorry for any inconvenience and stay tuned!

PS Scored 35 points in the Hudson Mercer Trophy yesterday despite 4-putting the last from 15-feet. Tricky green mind you but the ball just didn’t want to go into the hole! It was a bit of a bummer as I was so close to a really decent score and being into the prizes! (Thankfully it wasn’t as bad as Ernie Els’ mess a few years ago and it certainly wasn’t witnessed by so many people!)

3 May 2017
What a journey!

I had an incredibly adventurous, tiring, and difficult drive back to England! I started off at 3:30AM with a chesty cough, sore throat, and first cold of the season, and was a little worried about the battery in the car as it is sometimes reluctant to start up after it’s been driving for awhile, so when I stopped at a lay-by for a wee I made sure it was parked on a slight slope. Sure enough when I went to restart it the engine wouldn’t turn over at all so I bump-started myself back onto the auto-route thinking about how I was going to deal with a 725-mile journey without turning off the car? I needed to keep the car running while refuelling and while paying was given directions to a garage in Troyes, which I couldn’t find but I did end up in a garage that specialises in huge trucks. They tested the battery and confirmed that it did need replacing, but after a new battery was installed the car still wouldn’t start and it started to look like it was a starter-motor problem, and now I was in real trouble! I had a long way to go and needed to get myself through customs and onto the train without turning off the motor, which I knew was possible with a little luck. As I was approaching Reims I had a foggy few moments and ended up on the auto-route to Paris instead of Lille and when I realised what had happened I thought I find an exit and some signs to somewhere familiar. Wrong! I ended up in Paris and it took me about 1-hour of driving around in circles in ridiculously heavy traffic before I saw a sign for Lille, which I followed until I saw a sign for Amiens, which I knew was between Paris and Calais. By now I’d added another 125-miles to my already lengthy journey and was deciding whether to cry or not, but decided that wouldn’t really help so I bucked-up and continued to Calais knowing I was going to be late for my train. And because of my extra miles I was now going to need more diesel at some stage but decided I had enough to get to Calais and idle while going through customs, while waiting to be called in the car park, and while waiting to board the train. At this stage I was hoping that no one would knock on my window and insult me for polluting the planet but the alternatives weren’t too inviting! Eventually I made it onto a train and finally turned off my motor knowing that I’d need help getting my car started at the other end. I mentioned it to the lady when she was scanning my ticket and she just said that they can’t push because of insurance reasons and that someone would come to jump-start the car. I told her a jump-start won’t do anything because I’d just replaced the battery and she said that if it made me feel any better the delay on our crossing was due to a Bentley being towed off the train because it wouldn’t start. (I wondered to myself how much that cost?) Anyway, the man behind me helped to push and we bump-started my car and off I went. I still needed to re-fuel so again gassed-up with the engine running and arrived in Guildford to a massive traffic jam and at this stage thought to myself, “ you’ve come such a long way, don’t stall the car now when you’re so close to home!” After adding close to 4-hours to my journey I arrived just in time to take Katie to her gym club, which I’d promised to do. I was so grateful to get home and not be spending a night or two in France missing the girls while trying to get my car fixed! And the girls were so happy to see me and after the anticipation of our reunion over the past two-weeks not showing up and maybe spending a couple of more days away France would have been tough. It could have easily turned out so differently and although wounded my car didn’t let me down during hours of high-speed driving followed by sitting still and idling without coughing and stalling! It was a really tough day but what a result in the end!

Stay tuned for more news during the summer!

1 May 2017
What a finish to another great season!

As it turned out yesterday’s superb morning turned out to be my final ski of the season! It’s Derek’s anniversary this weekend and with a really rough and tough day forecast for this morning he decided to head home early and spend some time with his lovely wife Marcella. Good call Derek as I’m happy to be tucked up in bed writing this and not going out into the wind and flat-light, and Marcella will appreciate it as well!

Chris is skiing today with his friends Jim, Ollie and Dave and I wish them luck as it resembles a cold stormy day in mid-January out there. Bravo to you all!

Thanks to Derek, Paul, Peter, and Clare for taking care of me socially this weekend. It was really great fun with dinners, lunches, drinks and brilliant banter! It was great to see Pascale and Clive as well and thanks also to Jim, Ollie and Dave for a couple of evenings at their place during the last week.

I thought it was another stunning winter and although we didn’t have as much powder skiing as we’d have liked we did have our moments and the spring skiing over the past 6 to 8 weeks was spectacular! The sun seemed to shine all winter long, which isn’t hard to take and everyone seemed to go home happy this season with better skiing than they were expecting. (Bravo boys for milking the best out of the conditions) I also enjoyed the Killerbeez who got me out of the house and rocking again!

Stay tuned for periodic updates during the summer and thanks to all our clients for coming out and making ‘Alpine’ what it is!

PS Chris telephoned at 10 o’clock to say that, “anyone not skiing is a pussy!” I did offer to go with him this morning for some support so I’m not including myself in the ‘pussy’ category although I must say I’m happy to be at home getting sorted for my long drive tomorrow. Anyway, well done JC along with Ollie, Louise and Suzanne while Jim and Dave have been branded ‘pussies’! Mind you Dave has a curry feast to prepare for tonight, go Dave, I’m looking forward to it!

PPS I still can’t send emails but can collect them so I’m not ignoring you. Sorry if you’ve been waiting for a reply!

Find us on Facebook